BREAK UP YOUR FALLOW GROUND
by Rev. Howard Rosen, Jr
Rev. Howard Rosen,Jr
Pleasant Grove Baptist
Hosea 10 – V12-13
Here we see how Hosea uses the illustration of a plowed field, ground that is ready to receive seeds. It is no longer stony and hard: it has been carefully prepared and it is ready to be used to bring fruit. There is something refreshing about a newly plowed field the smell of the freshly turned ground is something that we see often this time of the year, but there is something that is much more refreshing and that is a heart that has been turned and repented to do God’s will, and heart that is available and willing to allow God to do His work in them.
As we look through these verses we see the conditions of hearts that need to be broken.
I. A HEART THAT IS HARD V1
1. Trusting in Their Own Might – Increasing in wealth and power.
2. Trusting in Their Own Self – Self gain was ruling their way, greed and selfishness were the forces that drove their life.
3. Trusting in Their Own Ideas – No concern for the way of the Lord. Therefore the Lord says they were an empty vine. Just as we see today fancy church, but no power, outward appearance, but a heart that is hard and indifferent to the ways of God, No Bible, No Prayer, No Power.
II. A HEART THAT IS DIVIDED V2
1. A Heart that is Controlled by the Flesh – James says a double minded man is unstable in all his ways, James 1:8.
2. A Heart that is not Real – Clam the name of God, but lives like the world.
3. A Heart that is Divided –Will not be able to stand when things go wrong, can’t be trusted, afraid to really stand for the Lord.
4. A Heart that is Deceived – Taken in by false worship, some kind of empty form of God, a Hollywood style of church. Remember God says that the heart is deceitful and above all desperately wicked who can know it? I the Lord search the heart; I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings. Jer. 17:9-10.
III. A HEART THAT HAS NO LEADERSHP V3,4&7
1. They had no King lead them – So they ask what good are they.
2. They had no King to help them – So their direction was confused.
3. They had no King that feared God – So there was bitterness, and bad attitude.
4. They had no King that was certain – Like the foam on the water, just going in any direction. Eph. 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie wait to deceive.
IV. A HEART OF INIQUITY V5,8-9
1. Bethaven – V5, Taken after the word Bethel, meaning a house of God, now a house of iniquity. One that once knew the glory of God now filled with sin.
2. High Places – V8, The places where idols were worshiped were set up by God’s people. We have the same problem friends we set those places in our heart, and when we do it is a direct rebellion against God and His holiness.
3. Thorns and Thistle – V8, The direct result of the curse of sin. God’s people not bearing good fruit because their heart is filled with sin.
4. Cover us Fall on us – V8, They were ashamed, wanting to hide from God’s wrath, but as with you and I nothing will is hidden from God, we must ask Him to cleanse our heart and repent of our sin.
V. A HEART THAT IS BEING CHASTIENED V10
1. Many today are running for the Lord – God wants them to return to Him.
2. Many we see have destroyed their testimony – But God still loves them.
3. Many we think will never be used – But God has not given up, He wants them to repent. He will in His own time bring them back to Him.
VI. A HEART OF UNGREATFULNESS V11
1. Loves to Tread the Corn – Knowing the goodness of God, but forgotten where it all comes from. This heifer had the easy life, pulling the tread mill and eating all the grain she wanted, getting fat and not having to do any work.
2. Fair neck – She has taken for granted the good things, had forgotten where she came from, forgotten how good God was to them.
3. Shall Break His Clods – The easy life was over it was time carry the load. Because they were ungrateful when things were good now God would make it hard. Oh, don’t we see that today every where we turn we see the need for people to be grateful again. We know better, we know why we are in such a state, economy, abortion, families, and destruction and hurt everywhere. Honey we need to be broken hearted and repent.
VII. A HEART THAT NEEDS TURNING V12-13
1. Sow in Righteousness – Hosea cries for people to repent. Seek God’s work in your heart.
2. Reap Mercy – His mercy is everlasting, He wants us to have a clean fresh heart.
3. Rain Righteousness – It is time to seek the Lord, He will rain down the Holy Spirit upon us and we can be fruitful. It is time to repent; we have already seen the result of a heart that has not been broken as we see in V12 we see in our life, our country our home and our country.