THE INVITATION TO JOY - IN JESUS NAME
by Rev. Howard Rosen, Jr
Pleasant Grove Baptist
Jesus is teaching His disciples about the new relationship between the believer and God explaining to them the change that His death and resurrection was about to bring.
Notice the words "in that day" this referrers to this present period, the time when Christ has returned to His Father�s right hand after His terrible death on Calvary, the period when we are no longer filled with sorrow because He died, but our sorrow has turned to joy, just as He promised in the preceding verses where He said in "a little while."
We know the joy of praying in the name of Jesus, we have always had that privilege, but what a wonderful message of good news He gave them on that day.
Let's take a look this morning at the wonderful invitation to joy.
To Pray in the Name of Jesus.
I. THE INVITATION - Ask.
1. We see the invitation to ask anything in Jesus name. Remember payer is not man's idea at all, but is all God's.
2. The Bible is full of examples of men who prayed . . . Joseph did and it kept him from getting bitter and caused him to prosper. David did and it enabled him to slay the giant. Daniel did and it shut the lion's mouth. Three Hebrew boys did and they were delivered from the fiery furnace.
Samuel's mother did and he was able to hear the voice of God and say here I am. Elijah did and God sent fire down from heaven. These and many more have known the joy of God hearing their prayers.
3. But they did not have the invitation to pray in the name of Jesus Christ as we do. Yes, we see here the invitation of the mediator Himself giving instructions in how we are to ask of the Father. What a JOY!
What a friend we have in Jesus, All our sins and grief's to bear! What a privilege to carry, Everything to God in prayer. Oh what peace we often for fit, Oh what needless pain we bare, All because we do not carry, Everything to God in prayer! Call on Jesus, Tell Him your problems, Tell Him about your broken heart, Tell Him about your weakest moment, Tell Him every detail, He has invited you to come.
II. THE INCENTIVE - He will give it.
1. It is a very simple thing to Ask, but how gracious it is on the part of God, to add to such a simple thing as asking the promise of giving. He does not say labor, purchase, or even desire, but simply to ask and He will give.
Jesus also taught this in Matt. 7 Ask, and it shall be given you: Seek and ye shall find: Knock and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh revieveth, and he that seeketh findeth, and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
2. There is nothing that will change your prayer life better than knowing God will answer.
3. Is there difficulty in your mind? He will give comfort. Is there a need in your home? He will meet those needs. Is there weakness in your spiritual life? He can give strength. Is there a longing in your soul to know God? He will give you peace and show Himself to you in prayer. You are talking to the God of the ages who said He would answer your prayers in the name of His Son Jesus Christ.
4. We have the assurance from the Bible, assurance from the power of God, and the assurance from those that have experienced what He will do when asked.
III. THE INCREDIBLE - The power of a loving God
1. The reason He gives us this incredible supernatural promise is because of His incredible supernatural love. God loves us with compassion, we are unworthy of His love and don�t think for one moment that this incredible invitation is given to us because we love Christ, Oh no we love Him because He first loved us.
2. So incredible to be forgiven of all sin, so incredible to know the joy of everlasting life, but even more incredible is the fact that God has given us access to Him through faith in His Son Jesus Christ.
3. We can know the incredible power of God. Paul said � Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us. Eph. 3:20. My friends God is not in any bread line, He is not on life support, He is not in a nursing home, He is not living on His last dollar. No!! The great God of glory has promised us incredible things if we will just ask Him, talk to Him, He cares!
4. Wouldn�t it be incredible if the one you are praying for got right with God? He is able He can change the coldest heart. Wouldn�t it be incredible to see God�s hand work in a mighty way in this little church? He can a will answer what we ask in the name of Jesus. So be of good cheer!! Notice verse 33 � These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
5. Remember Jesus said my house shall be called a house of prayer. Men ought always to pray and not to faint.
6. Not only have we been given the invitation, we have also been given the example. John 17 we see our Lord praying for us in a powerful way. Let�s read this together placing our name in it and making it even more personal and real in our hearts today.