THAT YOUR JOY MIGHT BE FULL
by Rev. Howard Rosen, Jr
Pleasant Grove Baptist
We do not have to look very far to see that there is no real way to find any joy in this crazy world. We live in a time when there is despair, and disappointment and grief all around.
The state of affaires in our government and economy will surly not bring us any joy.
While those in control have recklessly used their power to try to fine joy, and while doing so have brought heart ache, pain and sorrow to many, but with no regard to the hurt of others, but only seeking what the world calls happiness.
We can now see that their greed has not filled them with joy at all, but only makes things worse, as men seek after riches they are found riding a constant roller coaster, out of control and having no idea of the destruction to come. Some men are bitter at everything in their life because they seek satisfaction in things that can never satisfy. Their whole life is centered on seeking joy in the wrong things. . .
Money can buy medicine, round the clock stay in the hospital, but it can't buy health.
Money can buy a watch, but it cant buy time.
Money can buy a diamond, but it cant buy love.
Money can buy a house, but it cant buy a home.
My friends we need to take a close look at what Christ teaches us in this passage today, for truly it is a message needed for our time, for our homes, and for our families.
I. MY JOY MIGHT REMAIN IN YOU
Let's take a moment to look at what Jesus sees as joy, and remind ourselves exactly what He is saying when He talks about real joy.
1. The joy of the Lord, was at the tomb of Lazarus, overshadowing the sadness and disappointment of the dead man�s sister
2. The joy of the Lord was there when the leaper returned to thank Jesus.
3. The joy of the Lord was there when the woman was forgiven of adultery, and released from her sin.
4. The joy of the Lord was there when the deaf heard, the blind saw, and the lame walked.
5. The joy of the Lord was there when the multitudes were gathered on the hillsides to hear the teachings of Jesus Christ, as His joy is with us today.
6. The joy of the Lord was there when children flocked to be near Jesus.
7. The joy of the Lord was there when the boy gave his lunch to Jesus so He could work a miracle, showing us that God can do great things with the little things we have.
8. The joy of the Lord was there when Jesus forgave Zaccheaus for doing the same things with the people�s money as they are doing today. He can fix it!
9. The joy of the Lord was there when Jesus calmed the storm, with the words peace be still. Just as He can calm the storms we see in our life with that same peace.
10. The greatest joy of all when our Lord said I am the resurrection and the life and proved it by His own resurrection. My friends we can't help but notice that there is no mention of money or self gain, but only of help, and comfort those who are in need. What our Lord does is give the example of what we are to do, in order to have joy.
II. THAT YOUR JOY MIGHT BE FULL
The joy that Jesus is talking about is the genuine joy that He gives to us when we are in Him, we must abide in Him. When we realize what we have in Him our joy can be full.
1. We are chosen in Christ.
2. We are sanctified in Christ.
3. We are foreordained in Christ.
4. We are adopted in Christ.
5. We are accepted in Christ.
6. We are redeemed in Christ.
7. We are forgiven in Christ.
8. We are enriched in Christ.
9. We are enlightened in Christ, the light of the world.
10. Our inheritance is in Christ.
11. We are sealed until the day of redemption in Christ.
12. When we are in Him we bare all the fruits of the Spirit. Love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, and faith. Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. Gal.5:22-23. Gal. 2:20 I am crucified with Christ. . .
13. When we are in Him we have joy, when the bills are due, you can keep joy, when you face trials and tribulations you will have joy, when you feel persecuted you will have joy, when they lie about you, you will have joy, when the world is against you, you will have joy. When you are around the unsaved they will see your joy.
14. The only real joy is in Jesus, no matter what the circumstances in this life we will someday sit with Him in heavenly places. In the meantime we must keep close to Him in order to know the joy that only He can give, as the David prayed after he fell into sin. Restore unto me the Joy of thy salvation, we must not carry things that steal our joy, but take them with a broken heart to His feet and repent so that our joy might be full.
III. ENTER INTO THE JOY OF THE LORD
We know that by being faithful to the Lord's work we will hear the words, well done my good a faithful servant, enter into the joy of the Lord. But in the meantime we need to keep joy alive.
1. We need to understand the importance of having real joy, and what joy Jesus can give.
2. We need to be restored with the joy of your salvation, when we are troubled with sin.
3. We need to show that the joy of the Lord is in us. By being thankful, praising His name, wearing a smile that comes from a heart of joy, and giving His love to others.
4. We need to be sure that we protect the joy that we have in Christ, by not allowing Satan to steal it from us.
5. We need to come to the fountain of joy and let Christ fill our cups till they are running over, the fountain is open will you come that you might have joy.
Psalm 40:16 Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: let such as love thy salvation say continually, The Lord be magnified. 68:3 The righteous shall be glad.