The Foolishness of Strife
by Loy Clements
Text: Genesis 13:8
Introduction: The church today hears alot about being the seed of Abraham through Christ Jesus; but we live our lives as a bunch of fools. Notice in our text there was strife not only between Abram, and Lot because of the lack of land land; but between the herdsmen also.
Strife in the ministry will flow down throughout the Body of Christ and cause a cancer of division to the whole Body. Jesus said, where there is division, there is failure! "A Kingdom divided against itself will fall." "A house (family) divided against itself will fail." Love and wisdom by Abram allowed Lot to choose, and Abram took what God gave him.
Verse 14-15 "And the Lord said unto Abram, after that Lot was seperated from him, Lift up thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward: for all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed after thee."
We have to rid ourselves of strife before we can receive from God!
I. Keep yourself from the strife of tongues (Psalms 31:20)
God's will is for us to be hid in His Presence. There is safety from the strife of tongues in God's pavilion.
II. Don't anger God at the water of strife (Psalms 106:32-33)
- Psalms 91:3 how to potect yourself from strife of word "say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress : my God; in Him will I trust."
- Matthew 15:18-20 "But those things which proceed out of the mouth comes forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceeds evil thoughts, murders, adultries, forications, thefts, false witness, blasphemy: These are the things which defiles a man: but to eat with unwashed hands defileth not a man."
- Proverbs 4:20-23 "My son, attend to My Words (Wisdom); incline thine ears unto My sayings. Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the mist of thine heart. For they are life to those that finds them, and health to all of their flesh. Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it (the heart of man) are the issues (forces) of Life (God)."
- Matthew 12:34-37 "O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. A good man out of the good treasure (wisdom) of the heart bringeth forth good things; and a evil man out of the evil treasure (foolishness) bringeth forth evil things. But I say unto you, That every ideal word (of foolishness) that men shall speak, they shall give an account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned."
III. Let nothing be done through strife
- The beginning of strife Proverbs 17:14 leave off contention before it be meddled with
- Strife and envying (self pity) Romans 13:13 stops the way of honesty in a persons life
IV. Where there is strife
- Stop the judgment Romans 14:13 N.I.V.
a. remove the plank out of your own eye so that you may see clearly to remove the splinter out of your brother's eye Matthew 7:1-5; Luke 6:30-46; I John 4:7-5:4; Romans 5:5
b. God's way is the way of mercy Matthew 5:7; Luke 6:36
- Where there is strife there is carnally mindedness Rom. 8:4-8
- Let each esteem others better than themselves Philippians 2:3
- There is confusion and every evil work James 3:16
- Strife the work of the flesh Galatians 5:19-21 notice everything that goes along with strife!
- Strife produces unwholesome words I Timothy 6:3-5 withdraw yourself from strife, and strifeful people
- Keep away from foolish and unlearned questions
II Timothy 2:21-26 purge yourself and be a person of honor that the Master can use.
The way of successful life is through the absence of strife in our daily life! The vision of the successful life is found by walking in the Spirit, and not after the flesh Galatians 6:7-10, and Galatians 5:16-18.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Loy Clements Sermons.