Don't Stop the Oil!
by Dennis Michelson
II Kings 4:1-7
Introduction: The problem presented in this story was not the supply of oil but with the availability of suitable vessels. Many churches have too much ministry or too few vessels. The problem is never with the supply of the Spirit of God but with the availability of the people of God.
1. The Seriousness of the Situation (4:1-2)
2. The Solution for the Situation (4:3-5)
3. The Sufficiency of the Oil (4:6a)
4. The Stoppage of the Oil (4:6b)
The oil stopped flowing due to a lack of suitable vessels. God has three requirements for suitable vessels:
- Saved Vessels (Romans 9:23)
- Sanctified Vessels (I Thessalonians 4:4)
- Serving Vessels (II Timothy 2:21)
God distributes oil through suitable vessels. Sometimes there are problems of availability and one must bring the vessel. Sometimes there are problems of suitability and then one must clean the vessel.