How Strong Is Our Faith?
by Josh Hollingsworth
INTRODUCTION: We have probably all been in the situation where we were at a store with a friend of ours. Somehow out of nowhere they totally made a fool of us, themselves or both of us and at that time we temporarily disowned them.
We might have said something like who is that, we don’t know them, or we have never seen them before in our lives. Webster’s dictionary defines denial as a disowning or rejection; and defines deny as to refuse to acknowledge or disown.
The Bible gives an account of denial in Matthew 26: 69-75. This is where Peter denies Jesus three times. This account of Peter’s life is given to us so that we can learn from his mistake and not make it in our own lives. This passage deals with disowning and rejection and shows us how not to give in to denial in our lives.
THEME: WHEN ASKED ABOUT BEING A CHRISTIAN DO WE RESPOND WITH DENIAL?
I. WHEN ASKED AOBUT BEING A CHRISTIAN DENIAL SHOULD NOT MAKE US LIE. vs.69-70
T.S. WHEN ASKED ABOUT BEING A CHRISTIAN DO WE RESPOND WITH DENIAL?
- We Should Not Lie Because Of Others Opinions.
1. Opinions of the unsaved should never affect us.
2. Opinions of other Christians should be compared to the Bible.
NOTE: Christians are still human and can make mistakes, so we should make sure we base our opinions on the Bible.
3. Our opinions should not come from what we have been taught, but from studying the Bible.
- We Should Not Lie Because Of Peer Pressure.
1. Peer pressure should only affect us from Christian friends.
NOTE: Good friends will lift us up not pull us down.
2. Peer pressure from the world should not affect us.
NOTE: There will always be negative peer pressure from the world because they do not understand us.
- We Should Not Lie To Avoid Conflict.
1. Lying will never avoid a conflict but will make it worse.
2. As Christians we should understand that Satan will only bring us conflict if we are threatening him.
NOTE: v2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; v3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. James 1:2-3
I. WHEN ASKED ABOUT BEING A CHRISTIAN DENIAL SHOULD NOT MAKE US LIE. vs.69-70II. WHEN ASKED ABOUT BEING A CHRISTIAN DENIAL SHOULD NOT MAKE US GET UPSET.
T.S. WHEN ASKED AOBUT BEING A CHRISTIAN DO WE RESPOND WITH DENIAL?
- Taking About Being A Christian Should Not Make Us Upset.
1. Witnessing or talking about our faith should be every Christians desire.
NOTE: And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
2. We should be willing to talk to anyone who asks us about being a Chritian.
- Answering Questions About Being A Christian Should Not Make Us Upset.
1. We should always be ready to answer questions about Christianity to the unbeliever.
NOTE: We will never be totally prepared but we should study the Bible and know who to ask if we can not answer someone’s questions.
2. We should be willing to answer Christians questions of the Bible.
NOTE: We should always be willing to teach others from our mistakes.
- When Others Argue Against Christianity It Should Not Make Us Upset.
1. When others do not believe in a god or our God arguing can push them farther from the truth.
NOTE: A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Proverbs 15:1
2. As Christians we are to show our love not hate so that the world will see that we are different.
- When Other Christians Believe Differently Than Us We Should Not Get Upset.
1. Christians should not argue with each other over trivial issues.
2. Christians should put their differences behind them and worry about winning the lost to Christ.
I. WHEN ASKED ABOUT BEING A CHRISTIAN DENIAL SHOULD NOT MAKE US LIE. vs.69-70
II. WHEN ASKED ABOUT BEING A CHRISTIAN DENIAL SHOULD NOT MAKE US GET UPSET. vs.71-72III. WHEN ASKED AABOUT BEING A CHRISTIAN DENIAL SHOULD NOT MAKE US LOWER OUR STANDARDS.
- We Should Not Lower Our Standards To Avoid Persecution.
1. We need to realize that if Jesus could not avoid persecution than we can not either.
NOTE: Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also. John 15:20
2.Persecution will never cease to exist because we can not make everyone happy at the same time.
- We Should Not Lower Our Standards To Be Accepted By Our Friends Or The World.
1. True friends will accept us for who we are and what we believe.
2. If our friends try to lower our standards then we need to get new friends.
- We Should Not Lower Our Standards So Others Will Not Know What We Believe.
1. The world should be able to look at us and see a difference in our lives.
NOTE: Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
2. As Christians we are to be Christ-like not like the world.
When asked about being a Christian do we respond with denial? When asked about being a Christian denial should not make us lie. When asked about being a Christian denial should not make us upset. When asked about being a Christian denial should not make us lower our standards.
When asked about being a Christian do we lie about it? Is this an area where you struggle at work or with your friends? Will you come today and ask God to give you strength and boldness to not lie and to share your faith with others.
When asked about being a Christian do we get upset: If you get upset at unbelievers, other Christians or people of other religions will you come and ask God to help you control your anger and be able to love others with Christ-like love?
When asked about being a Christian do we lower our standards? Have you lowered your standards for your family, friends or co-workers? Will you make the choice today to stand up and do what is right?
How Strong Is Our Faith?