"NEVERTHELESS AT YOUR WORD I WILL"
by Rev.Charles Bronson
Key Verse: Luke 5:1-11
1. Jesus charged His apostles to make disciples of all the nations...
- Baptizing them upon His authority - Mt 28:18-19
- Teaching them to observe what He commanded - Mt 28:20
-- Are you a disciple of Jesus Christ?
2. The mindset of a disciple was displayed when Jesus called Peter...
- When Jesus was teaching at the Sea of Gennesaret (Sea of Galilee)- Lk 5:1-3
- When Jesus called on Peter to let down the net - Lk 5:4-5
- When Jesus called on Peter to lay down his net - Lk 5:10-11
-- Did you notice the mindset of a disciple of Jesus?
We see the mindset of a disciple as we note...I. PETER'S WILLINGNESS TO DO THE LORD'S WORD
- IN LETTING DOWN THE NET...
1. Jesus instructed Peter to let down his net - Lk 5:4
2. Peter did not think it would do any good - Lk 5:5a
- They had been fishing all night, they had caught nothing
- Wouldn't a fisherman know more about fishing than a carpenter?
3. Yet Peter said, "Nevertheless at Your word I will led down the net." - Lk 5:5b
- Though he did not think it would work
- Though it defied common sense
4. The result of doing the Lord's word - Lk 5:6-8
- The catch was overwhelming for one net, even for two boats
- Peter was made aware of his own sinfulness
-- Here we see the mindset of a disciple: "Nevertheless at Your word I will..."
- IN LAYING DOWN THE NET...
1. He and his coworkers were astonished at their success - Lk 5:9-10a
2. Jesus reassured Peter, and then called him and his partners to follow Him - Lk 5:10b-11
- Though he did not think he could be any good ("I am a sinful man, O Lord!")
- Though it meant leaving behind a successful business and family
1) Peter left his wife (for the time being) - cf. Lk 4:38; Lk 18:28; 1Co 9:5
2) James and John left their father - cf. Mt 4:21-22
- Yet they left all and followed Him!
3. The result of doing the Lord's word
- The Lord called them to even greater service - cf. Lk 6:13-14
- They would receive even greater rewards - cf. Lk 22:28-30
-- Such is the mindset of a disciple: "Nevertheless at Your word I will..."
Peter, together with James and John, illustrate the attitude that must characterize a disciple of Jesus: a willingness to do whatever the Lord says, no matter the cost, even when we don't understand why...II. OUR WILLINGNESS TO DO THE LORD'S WORD
...IN BECOMING HIS DISCIPLE...
- We may not think we can do any good
1. We might think we are too sinful, but Jesus calls sinners - cf. Lk 5:8,32
2. Even the rankest of sinners can serve Him - cf. 1Co 6:9-11
- We are to follow Him above all (family, work, self)
1. Jesus must come before family, even self - Lk 14:26; cf. Mt 10:37; Lk 9:23-26
2. Jesus must come before work as well - Lk 14:16-24
- For those willing to follow Him, the rewards are great
1. In this present time, much more! - Lk 18:28-30a
2. In the age to come, eternal life! - Lk 18:30b
-- Do we have the mindset to become a disciple ("Nevertheless at Your word I will")?