SEVEN REASONS TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER
by Rev. Howard Rosen, Jr
Pleasant Grove Baptist
I. LOVING ONE ANOTHER REFLECTS CHRIST
(John 13:34-35) A new command I give you: That ye love one another. As I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.
1. Christ instructions to the disciples raised the standard for how we treat others. How we should think of their needs before our own.
2. Christ told us to love our enemies, not to love how they act, but to love those who are different or those that oppose us.
3. Christ love working in us is more than words it is action. As Paul says if we don’t have love we are as a clanging cymbals, just noise and empty, meaningless.
4. Christ love working in us is not selfish, it is understanding, it is forgiving and it will give us the heart that is willing to sacrifice.
II. LOVING ONE ANOTHER COMPLETES THE LAW
(Rom 13:8-9) Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth one another hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal...
1. Love will change our outlook on the law for it is the fulfillment of the whole law.
2. Love will change our heart it is what gives us the power to obey God.
3. Love will change our attitude about what is important. Woman’s Letter: “Dearest Jimmy, No words could ever express the great unhappiness I’ve felt since breaking our engagement. Please say you’ll take me back. No one could ever take your place in my heart, so please forgive me. I love you, I love you, and I love you! Yours forever, Marie... P.S., And congratulations on willing the state lottery."
III. LOVING ONE ANOTHER IS A RESULT OF SALVATION
(1 Pet 1:22) Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently. 1 Pet 1:23 Being born again not
of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God which liveth and abideth for ever.
1. We cannot know how to love until we are born of God. Then we are pure.
2. We cannot love and obey the truth until we are born of God.
3. We cannot carry out the action of love without the Holy Spirit working in us.
IV. LOVING ONE ANOTHER IS AN EVIDENCE OF CHRISTIANITY
(1 John 3:14) We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
1. Childs Letter =Dear God, I bet it’s very hard for you to love all of everybody in the whole world. There are only 4 people in our family and I can never do it.
2. Don’t we need to question what is wrong when there is so much bitterness and unwillingness to forgive among the people of God?
V. LOVING ONE ANOTHER IS A DEMANDED COMMANDMENT
(1 John 3:23) And this is his command that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
VI. LOVING ONE ANOTHER IS A RESPONSE TO GOD LOVING US
(1 John 4:7-11) Beloved let us love one another; for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. “Love is more than a characteristic of God; it is His character.”
VII. LOVING ONE ANOTHER DEMONSTRATES GOD’S EXISTENCE
(1 John 4:12) No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us and His love is perfect in us.
1. If the world is to see God it will be through our love.
2. If we are to have the peace of God it will be because we have His love.
3. If we are to win our loved ones to Christ it will because His love is seen in us.
4. If we are to know this then we will have to draw near to Him and have Him fill our heart with His perfect love.