THE FAITH OF ABRAHAM
by Rev.Charles Bronson
Key Verse: Genesis 15:6
- One of the greatest men in history has to be the patriarch Abraham...
a. Three religions look to him as their spiritual progenitor (Judaism, Christianity, Islam)
b. Christians view him as "the father of all them that believe" - Ro 4:11
- What is most noteworthy about Abraham was his faith...
a. Paul made reference to his faith time and again - Ro 4:3,9,11,16-22; Ga 3:7-9
b. James used his example to illustrate saving faith - Jm 2:21-23
- Both Paul and James make reference to the following OT statement about Abraham's faith:
"And he believed in the LORD, and He accounted it to him for righteousness." (Gen 15:6; cf. Ro 4:3; Jm 2:23)
What was it about Abraham's faith that so pleased God? Do we have the same kind of faith? Let's take a closer look at "The Faith Of Abraham"...I. ABRAHAM'S FAITH WAS BASED ON REVELATION
- GOD REVEALED HIMSELF TO ABRAHAM...
1. In Ur of the Chaldees - Ac 7:2-4; Gen 15:7
2. At Haran of Mesopotamia - Gen 12:1-4
3. At Shechem in Canann - Gen 12:6-7
4. After Lot moved to Sodom - Gen 13:14-17
5. And many times more - cf. Gen 15:1-17; 17:1-27; 18:1-33; 22:1-19
-- By revealing Himself to Abraham, God provided Abraham ample evidence for him to place his faith and trust in God.
- OUR FAITH MUST BE BASED UPON REVELATION...
1. Not that God reveals Himself to us as He did to Abraham
2. But faith comes through the Word of God - cf. Ro 10:17
- It contains evidence that we might believe - Jn 20:30-31
- The more we read, the more God is revealed to us, especially in the person of His Son Jesus Christ!
-- If we desire to have "The Faith Of Abraham", we must be receptive to God's revelation of Himself through His Word!
Next, it is important to note that...II. ABRAHAM'S FAITH WAS AN OBEDIENT FAITH
- BY FAITH, ABRAHAM OBEYED GOD...
1. He left his country - He 11:8
2. He sojourned in a foreign land - He 11:9-10
3. He offered his son Isaac - He 11:17; cf. Jm 2:21-24 -- Abraham's faith was not a dead faith (cf. Jm 2:20,26), but a dynamic faith expressing itself in obedience!
- BY FAITH, WE MUST OBEY GOD...
1. For the gospel calls for "obedience to the faith"
(cf. Ro 1:5; 16:25-26)
2. We must "obey from the heart" the doctrine of Christ
(cf. Ro 6:17)
3. Woe to those who do not "obey the gospel"
(cf. 2Th 1:7-9; 1Pe 4:17)
-- If we desire to have "The Faith Of Abraham", we must have a faith that "works through love" (cf. Ga 5:6)
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Your Sermons.
© 2008-2028 - All rights reserved.
No content on preachology.com may be printed or
copied to any other site without permission.