The Ministry Of Preaching
by By Gerald Palmer
Pastor of Victory Baptist Church of Rowlett, Texas
II Timothy 4:1-5, *2
I am convinced that a preacher is called of God to preach the Word of God.
Jesus was a preacher, Matthew 4:17 "From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."
I want to do an Acrostic on the word "P-R-E-A-C-H," using each letter to describe the Ministry of Preaching.
I. - P - Prerequisites of Preaching
II. - R - Results Of The Preaching Ministry
- Prayer - Sermons born in prayer won't die in the pulpit.
Jeremiah 33:3 "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not."
Matthew 21:22 "And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive."
Song "How long has it been since you talked with the Lord."
- Power - It is more important than your vocabulary, dynamics or your delivery.
Zechariah 4:6 "Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit saith the Lord."
I Corinthians 2:4 "And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:"
- Preparation - An unprepared preacher is like a ship without a compass.
II Timothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
Ezra 7:10 "For Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the law of the LORD, and to do it, and to teach in Israel statutes and judgments."
"I never know what I'm going to preach until I get in the pulpit."(Exception to rule)
"I'm just going to let God fill my mouth."(He will do it if you fill your head & heart)
III. - E - Earnestness Of Preaching
- Repentance Will Be Witnessed - Repentance is a forgotten Doctrine and yet it was an essential part of our Lord?s Ministry.
Luke 13:3 "except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish."
-5 of the 7 churches of Asia were told to repent.
- Righteousness Will Be Imputed - The Bible speaks of our righteousness in Isaiah 64:6 "But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags."
Romans 3:22 "Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe."
-We must be clothed in His righteousness. We will see people saved.
- Revival Will Be Experienced - We want see it all of the time or much of the time but you must keep preaching the truth to see it any of the time.
IV. - A - Ammunition Of Preaching - What can you preach?
- Earnestly Exalt Jesus Christ - Point people to Him! Don?t exalt the church or denomination.
II Corinthians 4:5 "For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord."
Galatians 6:14 "But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ."
- Earnestly Preach The Entire Word of God - Don't go to seed on one or two doctrines. Don't spend much time on controversial subjects or those you really like.
Acts 20:27 "For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God."
- Be Earnestly Enthusiastic - We get excited about the things we enjoy.
-Loud preaching is not necessarily Bible preaching. People hear a camp meeting style preacher and say "Wow. That was great." What did you get out of it? "I don't know but it was great." By the way, I love camp meeting style preaching if it has substance.
-A black preacher said "What I lack in lighting, I make up in thunder." We need both!
V. - C - Cautions Of Preaching
- The Atonement - Hebrews 9:22 "without shedding of blood is no remission."
Ephesians 1:7 "In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins."
Song "What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus."
- The Ascension Of Christ - His ascension came because He defeated death and was resurrected.
Romans 8:34 "It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us."
- The Arrival Of Our Lord - He went back into heaven for a while but He said "I will come again." (John 14:1-3)
I Thessalonians 4:16-17 - 16 "For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord."
VI. - H - Helps Of Preaching - Preaching does help! Especially if we listen.
- Be Cautiously Concerned - I'm talking about concern for others, COMPASSION.
-We get so wrapped up in our lives that we forget others.
Romans 9:3 "For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh."
I know of a preacher that preached about the importance of "Water Power"(TEARS).
- Be Cautiously Constrained - I can't quit preaching, I'm constrained to preach. It's in my bones, it's in my heart.
II Corinthians 5:14 "For the love of Christ constraineth us."
- Be Cautiously Convinced - We do not need doubters in the pulpit. Be convinced that you are called and that the Bible is the Word of God and that it is relevant.
Be convinced that God is faithful and He will bring results to your ministry.
ILL. First pastorate, Bro. White would ask "Did you have any moves today?" I would say "Yes sir. 12 people crossed their legs and 6 people yawned." Yet the 3 times that church has been without a pastor, since we left, they have asked us to come back.
Isaiah 55:11 "So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."
- It Helps Some Miss Hell - Read the Gospels and see how much Jesus said about Hell. He talked more about hell than Heaven.
-I'm glad I had a pastor that preached that hell is real, hot and eternal.
- It Helps Many Prepare For Heaven - So that we can say with the Apostle Paul in II Timothy 1:12 "I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day."
- It Helps Give A Message Of Hope - When we come together for a service, It is not to mourn Christ's Death, It is to celebrate His resurrection.
So many people are depressed, discouraged and ready to give up, BUT The Message of The Gospel gives Hope to Every Person.
-God isn't looking for Great Talent, He is looking for Faith.