Wake Up! Come Back To Reality!
by Gerald Palmer
Last week Julia said "Come on big boy, I am going to shave your face and head, trim your eyebrows, then use some natural soaps, cleansers and special oils on your head and face. I'm going to wash your back and shoulders."
Then she said "Lay on your stomach, I'm gonna give you a back massage." Everything was going so good until I heard something. It was the alarm clock. What a dream. But it was time for me to come back to reality.
Spiritually, we need to come back to reality! We need to leave the "Sweet by and by" and return to the "Nasty now and now."
I. When It Comes To Salvation
- VS. 14 Arise from the dead?, That is what salvation is all about. Ephesians 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
Wake up! You cannot save yourself! If you could, then Christ died in vain.
-"I do the best I can." Our best isn't good enough. Isaiah 64:6 our righteousnesses are as filthy rags.
-It took God's best! John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Being saved is the most important decision you will ever make, More important than choosing a mate, a vocation, or a house.
When you stand before God, the only thing that will matter isn't what denomination you are but have you been washed in the blood of the lamb? Are you a child of God?
-The only thing better than being saved is knowing that you are saved and have everlasting life.
-These verses sum it all up: Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace(Not works) are ye saved through faith(In Jesus only); and that not of yourselves(Not produced by man): it is the gift(Not worked for or deserving of) of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.(We would tell everyone what WE did)
II. When It Comes To Everyday Life
- VS. 15 Everything is not hunky-dory in in our world today. We're living in an economic recession, Our president is not the savior of the world.
There are nations producing nuclear weapons, hoping to use them on the U.S., There are several wicked dictators that hate us.
Now we have "Swine flu". It has changed the way people travel and where they go.
Life isn't perfect. We will have our troubles, trials, difficulties and failures. But when you are a child of God, you never face them alone!
Hebrews 13:5 I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
Old Song: He'll go with you through the valley, He'll go with you all the way, everyday. What a precious friend is he.
Wake up and smell the coffee! We need God in our everyday lives!
-Just like the 3 Hebrew Children did when they faced the fiery furnace.
1) Life is a Gift
of God - Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Life is God's gift to us. What we do with life is our gift to God.
2) Life is to be lived for God - Revelation 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
3) Life is Brief - As for man, his days are as grass, If you live to be 100 yrs old, life is so brief compared to eternity.
James 4:14 For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.
4) Life is Uncertain - How many people do you know that were enjoying life and suddenly they were gone? Hebrews 9:27 It is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
We need to wake up and realize that we are leaving here when God says so!III. When It Comes To Opportunity
- VS. 16 Redeeming the time = Using our time wisely, Taking advantage of the opportunities set before us - WE ALL HAVE OPPORTUNITES!
Galatians 6:10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.
Luke 10:30-37 Gives us the story of The Good Samaritan, It wasn't an opportunity that he was looking for but he used it to help his fellow man.
ILL. Many see people in prison as thugs and as a bother. Bro. Gener sees them as an opportunity to win them to Christ and to disciple them.
ILL. Two men went to a remote area to sell shoes. One wrote the company and said "I'm coming home. The people here don't wear shoes." The other man wrote "Send more shoes, everyone here needs them."
One looked at the difficulty. The other looked at the opportunity.IV. When It Comes To Service
- VS. 18 God didn't save you to make you a movie star, a famous person, a political person or even a wealthy person - He saved us to fellowship with Him and to serve Him.
Wake up! Come back to reality! God wants to use YOU in His service.
-Do you have a church home? Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another.
-A Christian without a church home is like a boat without a motor, a car without wheels, a bodybuilder without muscles.
-Are you actively involved in church? Faithful in Attendance? Giving? Praying? Visiting, Inviting People to church?
-If Every Member Were Just Like You, What Kind Of Church Would We Be?
It is time to wake up and come back to reality. Is it well in your soul and life?